Volleyball comes up short at Army
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross volleyball team fell in a tough match against Army West Point, 3-1, on Saturday, Oct. 5.
Sophomore outside hitter Johnna Shamley had a double-double of 20 digs and 12 kills, and junior setter Shannon Dwyer had a double-double of 34 assists and 17 digs to lead the Crusaders (3-15, 0-4 Patriot League). Junior middle blocker Clare Honan had nine total blocks, including four solo blocks, and junior libero Sophie VanSeveren added in 24 digs. Freshman outside hitter Gracyn Benck also had five blocks as the Crusaders totaled 12 blocks as a team.
Emmy Barnhorst had 10 kills, while Ana Oglivie had 24 digs and Hannah Presley had 18 assists and four blocks to lead Army (11-5, 2-1 Patriot League).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After Army went ahead 6-2 early in the first, the Crusaders responded to cut within 7-6 after a kill by junior middle blocker Katie Kerins. Army continued to push, however, extending its lead to 21-14 after an ace. Out of a timeout, Holy Cross had three straight points off a kill by Shamley and back-to-back errors by the Black Knights to cut within 21-17, but Army closed out the set with four straight points to take a 1-0 lead.
- The Crusaders had a strong response in the second set, getting out to a 4-0 lead after forcing four straight Army errors. The Black Knights responded with six consecutive points, but after an Army service error, a kill by Honan and an ace by sophomore outside hitter Regan Wright, Holy Cross had the lead at 7-6. After Army tied the match at 7-7, the Crusaders got the next point off another Black Knight error, and did not rescind the lead from that point on. After the Crusaders built their lead to 23-11, Army put up a pair of points, but Holy Cross closed out a 25-13 set victory with kills from Wright and Honan.
- Holy Cross led 9-3 early in the third set, capped by a service ace from Shamley, but Army responded to cut within 15-14. Back-to-back blocks by the Crusaders extended their lead to 17-14, and after a kill by Army, Holy Cross added three more points off a service error and kills from Kerins and Shamley to go ahead 20-15. Out of an Army timeout, the Black Knights were able to score five straight points to even the match at 20-20, and Army held off the Crusaders for a 25-23 set win to take a 2-1 lead.
- The fourth set continued to be tight; a kill by Benck tied the match at 3-3 before Army pushed its lead to 8-4. Holy Cross capitalized on a few miscues by the Black Knights to cut within 8-7, but Army responded to go up 12-8. From there, Holy Cross went on a run to take a 21-17 lead. Holy Cross had a 24-21 lead late, but Army stormed back with five unanswered points to seal the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Honan’s career-high nine blocks were the most by a Crusader this season and the most in a single match since Mary Mullen had nine against Navy on Oct. 8, 2016.
- As a team, the Crusaders recorded a season-high 12 total blocks.
- This is the second match this season where two Crusaders have had double-doubles; Dwyer (22 assists, 11 digs) and junior outside hitter Rachel Harding (10 kills, 19 digs) each had a double-double on Sept. 13 against Valparaiso.
- Shamley had her first double-double of the 2019 season after posting six double-doubles in 2018.
- Holy Cross continues its road stretch with a 7 p.m. match on Friday, Oct. 12 at Lafayette.