Volleyball heads to Colgate, Army West Point
Holy Cross (3-13, 0-2)
at Colgate (9-5, 2-0) and Army (10-5, 1-1)
|at Colgate||Oct. 3, 2019 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Hamilton, N.Y. | Cotterell Court|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|at Army||Oct. 5, 2019 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||West Point, N.Y. | Gillis Field House|
|Follow Us||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
The Holy Cross volleyball team continues Patriot League action with a trip to face Colgate on Thursday, Oct. 3 and Army West Point on Saturday, Oct. 5.
Things to Know About the Crusaders (3-13, 0-2 Patriot League):
- Holy Cross comes off a tough opening weekend of Patriot League play at home, falling to Loyola, 3-0, on Sept. 28, before dropping a 3-0 contest to reigning conference champion Navy on Sept. 28.
- In the loss to Navy, which featured a competitive first set with a final score of 34-32, junior setter Shannon Dwyer recorded a career-high 38 assists. Dwyer leads the team with 293 assists this year, averaging 5.43 per set.
- Rookie outside hitter Gracyn Benck now leads the team with 129 kills this season (2.26 kills per set). In the match against Colgate, she will face off against her sister, Gabby, who is a senior outside hitter for the Raiders.
- The Crusaders begin a four-game road trip, with their next home game scheduled for Oct. 18.
Things to Know About the Raiders (9-5, 2-0 Patriot League):
- The Raiders round out a three-game Patriot League homestand with their game against the Crusaders after beating American, 3-1, on Sept. 27 and Loyola, 3-0, on Sept. 28. Colgate is one of just two undefeated teams in Patriot League play this year.
- Middle blocker Hailey Horn-Bostel earned Patriot League Player of the Week honors after combining for 11 blocks against the Eagles and Greyhounds.
- Outside hitters Alex Stein and Alli Lowe were Preseason All-Patriot League selections; Lowe is a two-time Patriot League Player of the Week so far this year. Stein leads the Raiders with 203 kills this year, while Lowe is close behind with 199.
- Setter Julia Kurowski has recorded nine double-doubles this year, averaging 9.13 assists per set.
- Colgate reached the Patriot League semifinals in 2018. The team was projected to place third this season in a preseason coaches’ poll.
Things to Know About the Black Knights (10-5, 1-1 Patriot League):
- Army comes off a 1-1 opening weekend of league play, beating Navy in five sets on Sept. 27 before falling to American, 3-1, on Sept. 28; the Black Knights also swept Marist, 3-0, on Tuesday, Oct. 1 in nonconference action.
- Holy Cross visits Army in the fourth game of the Black Knights’ five-game homestand; Army is 8-1 at home this season.
- Outside hitter Courtney Horace, a Preseason All-Patriot League selection, leads the team with 139 kills this year, followed closely by outside hitter Sydney Morris, who has 138 kills.
- Middle blocker Monica Eckford has recorded 54 blocks this year, while middle blocker Emmy Barnhorst has 51.
- The Black Knights hold their opponents to a .140 hitting percentage, the eighth-best mark in Division I.
- Army recorded a 9-7 conference mark in 2018, and was voted to finish fourth in the Patriot League in 2019 in the league’s preseason poll.
Last Time They Met:
- Holy Cross won its Patriot League opener at home against the Raiders on Sept. 21, 2018, 3-1; then-rookie outside hitter Regan Wright had a double-double of 12 kills and 11 digs. Later that season at Colgate, the Raiders swept Holy Cross on October 21, 2018.
- Middle blocker Katie Kerins had 15 kills as the Crusaders fell to Army, 3-2, on Sept. 23, 2018 in West Point. The Black Knights later took a 3-1 win on Oct. 19, 2018 in Worcester, with Wright recording 11 kills.