Johnny Unitas® Stadium
STADIUM PHOTO GALLERY
FIELD TURF RENOVATION PHOTO GALLERY
Minnegan Field at Johnny Unitas® Stadium is home to Towson University's football, men's and women's lacrosse, field hockey and track & field teams.
The sports complex, which underwent a massive $32 million renovation beginning in 1999, seats 11,198 spectators. Stadium renovations, which were completed in 2002, included an addition of 6,000 seats, an artificial turf, entry level plaza, concession stands, new restrooms, ticket booths, a four-tier press box, an elaborate field house and a promenade that conveniently connects the northside and southside seating areas.
Prior to 2008, the stadium's Astroturf was replaced with FieldTurf. Additionally, the FieldTurf was once again replaced prior to the 2012 season. The stadium is lighted for night play.
Unitas® Stadium Field HouseOn April 26, 2003, the final renovations to the stadium were completed with the construction of the four-story, 48,000 square-foot field house located in the facility's west endzone area. The Field House features staff and coaches' offices, meeting rooms, locker rooms, classrooms, a video services room, a student-athlete learning resource center, a sports medicine/athletic training facility and an equipment room. The facility houses field hockey, football, the men's and women's lacrosse teams and the cross country and track & field teams, in addition to visiting team locker rooms and two officials' locker rooms. Dunn Terrace, a rooftop patio on the second floor, treats guests and alumni to a bird's-eye view of athletic contests.
The Ford-Vetter Athletic Sports Medicine Facility offers a comprehensively equipped area that serves the student-athletes' medical needs. This 3,000 square foot facility includes separate taping, treatment, rehabilitation, and hydrotherapy areas. The state-of-the-art hydrotherapy and rehabilitation areas include the Swimex system and Biodex training equipment. The facility also includes a physician exam room, conference room, and staff offices.
The Minnegan Room, located on the third floor of the field house, is named after long time faculty member, athletic director and coach Donald “Doc” Minnegan. It is a multi-purpose room that has a breath-taking view of the action on the field as well as the stadium. The Minnegan Room can accommodate up to 200 guests at social functions ranging from pre-and post-game parties, sports banquets and fund-raisers to wedding receptions. It is the ideal location for press conferences.
Additionally, the Field View Room, located adjacent to the Minnegan Room on the third floor, serves as a smaller complimentary multi-purpose room. Ideal for conferences, it can accommodate up to 30 guests.
TigerVisionIn summer of 2008, Towson University became the first NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) school to install a Daktronics high-definition LED video and scoring system. The state-of-the-art, HD video board system was installed in the west endzone of Johnny Unitas® Stadium. The cornerstone of the project is a nearly 45-foot high by 60-foot wide structure on the west end of Minnegan Field that consists of an HD LED video display scoreboard, backlit sponsor displays and backlit identification display.
On the east side of the stadium is a new 20-foot high by 40-foot wide structure which houses an auxiliary scoreboard that will notify players and fans of the score, time and period. The main board on the west end features a massive 17-foot high by 47-foot wide LED display that utilizes the cutting-edge Daktronics HD-16 technology.
According to Daktronics' Rob Zeller, "Unitas Stadium is the only college facility on the east coast with this kind of technology. The HD-16 technology uses a revolutionary staggered pixel layout to optimize the number of full-color pixels within a given screen area. The closer the pixels are together, the better the clarity. With pixels only 16mm apart, the board allows for optimal viewing and provides exceptionally wide viewing angles free of color shift. Every HD-16 pixel is a full-color pixel capable of producing 4.4 trillion color combinations. As a comparison, the new Mitsubishi video board inside Oriole Park at Camden Yards is only a 20mm pixel HD LED board."
About "Doc" MinneganDonald "Doc" Minnegan was a teacher, coach, physical education department chairman and Director of Athletics at Towson for more than four decades. He arrived at Towson in 1927, and he coached its soccer team until 1966.
Doc's soccer teams were very successful, winning a total of 156 games, and 66 of 77 between 1930 and 1936, including a school record 34 straight. He also coached Towson to championships in baseball, basketball, track and swimming, as well as soccer.
Doc is the only American to publish an article in the British Football Annual on soccer theory. He was inducted into the National Soccer Coaches Association of America's Hall of Fame in 1992. During his tenure as Director of Athletics, Doc established football as an intercollegiate sport at Towson in 1969. He died in 2002, just two weeks shy of his 100th birthday.
The stadium bore his name from 1983 until 2002. In accordance with that tribute, the playing surface remains Minnegan Field in his memory.
"The Golden Arm"Johnny Unitas had a deep connection with the University. The former Baltimore Colts legend was the parent of three Towson students.
As the Colts' quarterback, them to back-to-back NFL titles in 1958 and 1959. In 1958, he directed two dramatic drives as they beat the New York Giants in overtime in the "Greatest Game Ever Played." He was the starting quarterback in Super Bowl V when the Colts beat Dallas, 16-13. A 10-time Pro Bowler, he was the NFL Player of the Year three times. At the time of his retirement, he owned NFL career records for pass completions (2,830), pass attempts (5,186), passing yardage (40,329) and touchdown passes (290). In his career, he threw a touchdown pass in 47 straight games, setting a record that may never be broken.
Several weeks prior to his untimely passing, "Johnny U" began serving as community liaison for Tiger Athletics. His role was to assist in obtaining a naming rights partner for the University's new stadium. The legendary Golden Arm died suddenly, less than a week after tossing his last pass to commemorate the opening of Towson's new stadium at ceremonies on September 5, 2002.
High spirits returned when Sandy Unitas chose to assume her husband's role with Towson. With Johnny's two youngest children as Towson students, Sandy sought to memorialize her husband's legacy on campus by having the stadium named Johnny Unitas® Stadium.
Learn MoreFor more information on Johnny Unitas® Stadium services, policies and procedures, click here.