Field Hockey Welcomes UMass Lowell In Regular Season Finale
ALBANY, N.Y. – The UAlbany field hockey team (10-7, 1-3 AE) concludes the regular season this Sunday when they welcome UMass Lowell for a 1 p.m. matchup.
Sunday, November 3 (1 p.m.)
The Great Danes are battling for a spot in the six-team 2019 America East Championship that will be hosted by Monmouth from Nov. 7-10. The Great Danes need to win on Sunday against UMass Lowell in order to clinch a playoff berth.
Leading the Pack
- Dana Bozek continues to lead the Great Danes offensively, ranking second in the conference with 33 points and 14 goals.
- Kelsey McCrudden leads the conference with a career-high 14 assists and ranks third in the nation with 0.88 assists per game. She is responsible for 42% of the team’s assist this season.
- Goalkeeper Melissa Nealon ranks first in the America East in goals against average (1.31), second in shutouts (4) and third in save percentage (.744).
Scouting UMass Lowell
- Sofie Knook leads the River Hawks with seven goals and 16 total points.
- Jenna Berger boasts a team-best six assists with 14 points, as well.
- In the cage, senior goalkeeper Eva Berkhout has tallied 49 saves with a 1.88 goals against average.
Not So Sophomore Slump
Sophomore Kelsey McCrudden is off to a hot start in 2019. Through 17 games so far this season, the back has set career highs in assists (14) and points (16). Currently, she ranks third in the NCAA in assists per game with 0.88.
Spreading the Love
The Great Danes’ offense has been a true team effort this season, as 11 different Great Danes have already logged at least one point this season.
(Goal)Keeping it Real
Senior goalkeeper Melissa Nealon currently ranks third in career wins with 38 and fifth in career saves with 232. Her 18 career shutouts are good for second all time, while her 10 shutouts during the 2018 season tie a program best. Nealon was tabbed a NFHCA 2018 Third Team All-American after leading the NCAA with a .813 save percentage a season ago.
Home Sweet Home
The Great Danes, who are currently 3-3 this season in friendly confines, have proven they are one of the toughest teams in the country to beat on their home turf. UAlbany boasts an impressive 45-12 record at home dating back to the 2013 season.
She’s Got Gold Around Her Neck
Returning starter Katie MacCallum donned blue and white this summer to represent Team Scotland. MacCallum was a member of the 2019 Scotland U-21 National Team that won gold in the EuroHockey Championship.
Hanna Zarrilli tallied her first career goals against No. 1 North Carolina (10/13) … Julie Rodijk notched her first career goal at Columbia (10/6) … Kelsey McCrudden’s four assists against Colgate (9/17) are tied for second all-time in program history … Dana Bozek’s seven points (3g, 1a) vs. Colgate rank sixth all-time in program history … Lillian Hickey recorded her first collegiate point with an assist in a 2-0 win against Miami (OH) (8/31). Hickey later scored her first collegiate goal against No. 5 Harvard (9/6).