Volleyball to open Patriot League play against Loyola, Navy
Holy Cross (3-11) vs. Loyola (Md.) (7-7) and Navy (5-6)
|vs. Loyola (Md.)||Friday, Sept. 27 | 6:05 p.m.|
|vs. Navy||Saturday, Sept. 28 | 4:05 p.m.|
|Live Stats||Sidearm Stats|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Follow Us||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross volleyball team opens Patriot League play at home with a matchup on Friday, Sept. 27 against Loyola (Md.) at 6:05 p.m., followed by a 4:05 p.m. game against Navy on Saturday, Sept. 28 in Blaney Gymnasium.
- On Saturday, the Crusaders will welcome several former student-athletes from the volleyball program back to campus as part of their Alumnae Match.
Things to Know About the Crusaders (3-11):
- The Crusaders come off a 1-2 showing at the Dog Pound Challenge, hosted by UConn, on Sept. 19 and 21. Holy Cross dropped a tough 3-2 contest to UConn on the opening night before earning a 3-2 comeback win against Providence on the 21st; the Crusaders then fell, 3-0, to Dartmouth.
- Freshman outside hitter Gracyn Benck was named to the All-Tournament Team after totaling 32 kills over the three-game tournament.
- Holy Cross has not lost a set at home this season, sweeping Merrimack on Sept. 10 and Hartford on Sept. 17.
- Junior middle blocker Katie Kerins has recorded three total blocks in three of the last four games; she is tied with junior middle blocker Clare Honan for the team lead with 23 blocks on the year.
- Junior libero Sophie VanSeveren surpassed the 1,000-dig mark for her career with 12 digs in the Crusaders’ last home match. She is the 10th player in Holy Cross history with more than 1,000 digs.
Things to Know About the Greyhounds (7-7):
- The Greyhounds last played three matches at the Tiger Invitational from Sept 20 to 22, falling to Towson and New Hampshire before beating NJIT by a score of 3-0.
- Loyola enters Friday’s match ranked second in the Patriot League in digs per set (16.39) and assists per set (12.32).
- Libero Katie Forsythe, the reigning conference Libero of the Year and Rookie of the Year, leads the Patriot League with 5.61 digs per set.
- Outside hitter Ann Ernst ranks in the top 10 in the conference in kills per set (third, 3.58) and digs per set (10th, 3.02). Both Forsythe and Ernst were Preseason All-Patriot League selections.
- The Greyhounds finished in third place in the Patriot League in 2018, advancing to the conference semifinals. They were selected to finish fifth in the conference this season in a preseason coaches’ poll.
Things to Know About the Midshipmen (5-6):
- The Midshipmen enter the weekend off of a 1-2 weekend at the West Virginia Tournament on Sept. 20 and 21. Navy won the weekend opener against Eastern Kentucky, 3-0, before falling to Duquesne and West Virginia in a pair of five-set matches.
- Navy will play a Friday match at Army West Point prior to Saturday’s game in Worcester.
- Navy won a Patriot League championship during the 2018 season, falling to Michigan in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Mids were selected to finish second in the Patriot League this season in a preseason coaches’ poll.
- Reigning Patriot League Tournament MVP and preseason Patriot League Player of the Year Maddi Sgattoni leads the Midshipmen with 3.37 kills per set.
- Setter Paige Miles has averaged 8.57 assists per set.
Last Time They Met:
- Loyola traveled to Holy Cross on Nov. 2, 2018, posting a 3-0 win over the Crusaders. Then-rookie outside hitter Regan Wright had 18 digs and five kills, while then-freshman outside hitter Johnna Shamley posted 11 kills and nine digs.
- Navy earned a 3-1 win over the Crusaders on Nov. 9, 2018. Wright had 11 kills and nine digs to lead Holy Cross.