Photo by Gar FitzGerald

Mistele's overtime heroics send Rams to game 3

By Cara Gilhula

GUELPH, Ont. - The Ryerson Rams are taking the Guelph Gryphons to game three of the quarter-finals after an exciting 6-5 overtime win on Saturday night. Game three will take place at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Sunday, February 24th at 7:15 p.m.

For his second goal of the game, Matt Mistele scored the final overtime winner. Notably, Patrick Fellows was first to put the Rams up on the board, Jesse Barwell took home two back to back goals, and Devon Paliani put one up to help take the game.

The first period opened with end to end action for both teams. Yet, it was the Gryphons who struck first on a delayed penalty goal by Stephen Templeton four minutes into the first period.

Fortunately, Jesse Barwell went hard into the Gryphons zone, made a nice behind the back pass to Steven Harland. Harland then tapped it over to Patrick Fellows, who buried the puck to tie the game 1-1.

Their comeback goal gave the Rams a push that left them throwing pucks deep into the Gryphons zone. This helped them push back the Gryphons defence and anticipate their breakouts. The score remained 1-1 during the first period.

Less than two minutes into the second, Mistele earned the first power play goal of the game. Hayden McCool and Devon Paliani made the assists to complete the play.

Halfway through the second, the Rams were on the power play once again. Alex Basso made a quick pass to Mistele at the point, Mistele fired the puck and Paliani was there for the interception to make it 3-1.

Unfortunately, Gryphons Seth Swenson slid the puck past Dupuis and it trickled in to make the score 3-2. Then late in the second, Gryphons Todd Winder put one up high to tie the game again at 3-3.

The third period went scoreless until Barwell came down on the breakaway to give the Rams a 4-3 lead.

Shortly after, Barwell earned his second of the game to advance the Rams to 5-3.

Guelph’s Ryan Valentini made the return to inch closer to the Rams at 5-4.

With 45 seconds left in the third period, Connor Bramwell struck again for the Gryphons to tie it 5-5. Taylor Dupuis held off the Gryphons with multiple saves in the remainder of the third to give the Rams a chance in overtime.

Off the drop, the Rams came out hard during overtime. It was a fight to the finish, but the Rams were ready for another battle.

The Gryphons were controlling the play in their end, right until Mistele came and stole the puck and made the transaction to give the Rams the 6-5 overtime win.

The win extends Ryerson's season into game three of the OUA quarter-final series. Puck drop is set for Sunday, February 24 at 7:15 p.m. at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.


Mattamy Athletic Centre



Hockey (M)

Playoff hockey is here!

Hockey (M)

WOCO/Subway Series 2019

Hockey (M)

Kids Hockey Day at Regent Park

Hockey (M)

Patrick Fellows - "Driven"

Hockey (M)

Men's hockey 2018-19 season teaser

Hockey (M)

Blue & Gold Night

Ryerson Rams Care